Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Being Patient with Ourselves

I am slowly learning to be patient with myself! It is a skill that is taking me years and years to develop. A few years ago I realised just how hard I am on myself. I was treating myself a lot worse than I treated other people.

Here is an example that has reminded me of this idea today.

I am having one of those days where I feel like I am totally snowed under. It is understandable. My last week has been extremely busy. (And that is not even taking into account a very busy month!) One week ago, I left early to drop my husband at work. I came home and sat with my children cramming in as much school work as we could. The older boys had a small piece of English due that we finished. Then I spent two hours packing for a BMX trip. We then headed off to pick up my husband. Off we headed to Shepparton: 1500km. We attended the BMX meet (part of it in the rain; bringing home wet and dirty clothes, bikes and helmets). After having driven all night to get home, I had a drama lesson to teach, then a birthday dinner, then straight into school and other events the next day! Needless to say, my house is a mess, and there is little food in the fridge. I am struggling to keep sane today!

Anyway, to cut to the chase: my husband just called to ask me to email a list he needs for someone who is taking over some of his work. The list that I need to e-mail is on an old computer that will not turn on. Why do I need to send this list today? Because the young man who needs it lost the list that my husband has already given him. A young man with no wife, no children, who likes to surf on the weekends. If I can be patient with this man who has lost a list that will take me 20 minutes to retype (when I have piles of work all around me), then I can be patient with myself when I make silly mistakes sometimes, or forget things, or am late with something.

I can get through this...one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment