Sunday, October 2, 2016

An Introduction


I have been wanting to start a blog for a long time. I read recently in “Blogging” by Jill Walker Rettbert that blogs have been around for about 15 years. They followed on from the old genres of personal diaries, autobiographies and memoirs. In today’s age of social media, anyone can have a go, share who they are and become a writer. It is my hope that this blog will capture a little bit of who I am and may encourage other women and mothers along their journey of life.

 I first came across blogging five years ago. I found many inspiring blogs by Christian women. I would have an allocated time most mornings where I would sip my coffee and browse a few of my favourites. At first they would inspire me and give me ideas to improve my life (whether it be in regard to parenting in general, homeschooling, marriage, budgeting, housework or other housewifey pursuits.) My life was far from being so cookie cutter perfect. My children didn’t respond to these beautiful educational ideas and philosophies. My husband was different to the ones that other women described. I felt like a failure. After a time, I had to ban myself from reading them as they were making me depressed. The ones that I had chosen all painted this idyllic picture of perfection that I felt I could never reach. Over time, I have sporadically partaken in other blogs that have been recommended to me and found that many women do write in real, honest language that does indeed resonate with my crazy and very imperfect life.

Still, during my sabbatical from reading blogs, I developed a passion to write raw, gritty and real blog posts. That is what this blog is about. Those who know me personally see me as a good little girl with all her ducks in a row. So some of these posts may shock people! In fact, someone labelled me just on Friday night as being ‘pure’. “Don’t use that language around Alex; she’s pure.” It was a joke. They were my friends, and I laughed along with them. My answer was, “Talk how you want. I have a good filter!” The thing is, people see me as having things together. The truth is: I do love God; I do read,  and try to obey the Bible; I did grow up in a Christian home; I have a genuine love for people; but I fail dismally every day! I’m never the perfect wife, the perfect mother, the perfect daughter, the perfect daughter-in-law, the perfect friend. I have made so many mistakes; but the thing is, I make a huge effort to learn from them. One of my life’s mottos is: I may be a slow learner, but at least I’m a learner. My mum and dad will heartily concur that I learnt my lessons painfully and slowly as a child; but looking back over the roller coaster of my life, I can see that I do learn. I am reading through Proverbs at the moment, and am loving all the references to wisdom. This is something I have prayed fervently for since I was a teenager.  Someone with a wise heart learns from her mistakes.

Even though it has taken me years to develop the confidence, I am finally starting to call myself a writer (after having written passionately all my life); but I don’t see myself as having anything unique. I don’t have a huge vocabulary; I don’t have a clever way with rhetoric; I’m not overly funny.  I use clear and simple language that is real and honest and displays my heart. I hope and pray my stories can help others along the way.
 
(At this stage I plan to add a new blog post each Monday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment